A course for middle school teachers to support classroom management and SEL based on Eastern wisdom. PDPs are available. Sign Up now at www.advaitameditation.org.
5 week class – 10 hours total 2 hours per class
This five-week course will present strategies for classroom management based on the traditions of Eastern Vedic Wisdom (Vedanta). The focus will be working with middle-school students. Cognitive Yoga will give teachers practical tools to help students become more self-aware,motivated them to control their mental and emotional energy, and to improve executive functioning. In addition, we will explore strategies for creating a classroom conducive to quiet focused work as well as techniques for students to bring order to their materials.
The topics covered will be:
- Understanding meta-cognition,
- Beginning/ending classes with control,
- Skillful ways to teach kids about attention and energy
- Activities for kids to practice focused attention,
- Teaching kids to monitor their noise level,
- Organizational protocols,
- Reading and vocabulary comprehension,
- Support for initiating homework
- Effective stress reduction scripts.
A final assignment will require that the teachers practice one of the strategies a minimum of three times and report out the effectiveness of the protocol.
Lee Guerette is a Reading Specialist and Special Educator with 25 years of experience in public and charter schools. She has been a student with the Advaita Meditation Center for more than 30 years.