When moving from one home to another, there are many small tasks that are often forgotten about as more prevalent issues, such as booking a moving company or closing the home sale, take over. Here are five small, yet very important, things to remember when planning a move either locally or across the country.
1. Transfer bank accounts, prescriptions, newspapers. If you are moving within the same area, these tasks can be as simple as calling and changing your address. However, if you are moving to a brand new city, you will need to make sure you close all of these accounts prior to your move so you do not get charged for services you will no longer be using.
2. Contact your utility companies. A few weeks prior to your move, contact your electricity, gas, water, and cable companies to inform them of the date to disconnect your service and, if applicable, the date to set up services in your new home. If you are moving somewhere where you need to set up new utilities, do so a few weeks before your move as well, and keep in mind that you may need to have extra cash available for deposits, if required.
3. Let your employer know about your move. This may seem like an obvious step if you are leaving your job to move to a new city, but many people forget to inform their work when they are moving homes, especially if they are keeping their current job. Letting your employer know about your move is critical to make sure that you continue to receive all mailed correspondence, checks, or pay stubs.
4. Consider your pets. Many people often overlook any arrangements that need to be made for pets during a move. Many animals can become very stressed and nervous from the movers, chaos, and clutter that comes with moving. To avoid an unpleasant experience for your animals (and you!) consider moving your pets to a friends, family members, or even kennel during the big move.
5. Consider painting before the move. Nothing is worse than trying to paint walls when you want to be unpacking. If you are planning to do any wall painting in your new home, consider doing so before you move. By taking this preemptive step, you will not have to work around furniture, and it will also allow the paint smell to disappear before your family moves in.
Moving can be a very stressful experience, but keeping in mind these five tips will allow you to spend less time worrying about everything that you need to do and more time getting excited for your brand new home!
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something