CreditDonkey.com ranked the top 10 most generous cities based on property crimes, volunteerism, charitable contributions, and credit card debt. New York came out on top, while Boston was No. 2.
"New Yorkers prefer to donate money rather than time," the report found. "The city has the lowest volunteer rate on the list, but it’s in a state with the highest per-capita financial donation rate. To boot, the property crime rate is the lowest on the list, meaning that most people here know that stealing doesn’t exactly elevate your reputation as a good person."
It reported the following statistics for New York:
- Property crimes per 100,000: 1,705
- Volunteer rate: 18.3%
- State charitable contributions per capita: $699
- Credit card debt per person: $2,616
It reported the following statistics for Boston:
- Property crimes per 100,000: 1,984
- Volunteer rate: 27.2%
- State charitable contributions per capita: $561
- Credit card debt per person: $3,068