, Boloco, the burrito chain, will present its proposal to the Waltham City Council next month, according to the company's chief executive officer.
Attorneys for Boloco will present the company's proposal during an Aug. 6 public hearing for a fast food permit at the Waltham City Council meeting, according to the city's clerks office. The hearing will start at 7 p.m. In accordance with past practices, the Council will likely refer the proposal to a subcommittee for further discussion.
The company is hoping to move into the former Winecellar of Silene space at 475 Winter St., the plaza located directly to the right and below the Winter Street bridge, said Boloco CEO John Pepper in a July 19 interview with Waltham Patch. He said he hopes to open the store by January 13.
Despite the scheduled hearing, Pepper acknowledged he would likely scuttle his plans if the company's proposal does not progress quickly after the Aug. 6 hearing. Pepper said that since the company does not have a signed lease with the building's owner, he would likely lose the space. The building's owner, Pepper said, had been holding the site open specifically for Boloco.
Pepper said issues with their attorneys and working with City Hall has delayed their progress.
“There has been a lot of stumbling blocks," Pepper said.
Pepper said their first attorney "disappeared," which forced them to find a new one. Also, Pepper said his company has had to spend a lot of time navigating city hall permit forms and other bureaucracy. Pepper said the company was originally supposed to have a hearing a year ago.
“It's not unique to Waltham. This happens everywhere,” said Pepper.
Pepper said he reached out to Mayor Jeanette McCarthy and several city councilors for help; all of whom, he said, have been "super responsive."
In addition to Boloco, has also proposed a new store in Waltham.