Invite a friend
Camellia Blooming Season
February is a great time of year to enjoy the celebrated blooms in 1804 camellia house at the Lyman Estate Greenhouses. Many of the camellia trees are more than one hundred years old. This is the time of year they put forth a profusion of blossoms in all sizes and shapes. Other plants available during this season include orchids, citrus, and sweet olives. Closed Presidents' Day.
Stop by on Saturday February 9 and 16, and Sunday, February 17, from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. to enjoy tours of the historic mansion. In conjunction with camellia blooming season at the Greenhouses, Historic New England offers additional opportunities for guided tours of the Lyman Estate mansion. Discover the Lyman family as you explore the elegant mansion with its elegant ballroom and graceful oval parlor, both pristine examples of Federal design. Tours of the mansion are $5.
More About Lyman Estate and Greenhouses
The Lyman Estate is located on Lyman Street at the rotary near Bentley University. It was built in 1793. The estate (also known as "The Vale") is a beautiful home designed by Samuel McIntire. It has been remodeled several times over its 150-year history and is now Colonial Revival style.
It takes up 37 acres and has several outbuildings, including a huge greenhouse. Plants maybe purchased from the greenhouse and a small gift shop is also located there. The mansion itself is not open to the public for "drop-in" tours. Group guided tours can be arranged in advance. The house is primarily used for weddings, parties and corporate events.
The Lyman Estate is owned and operated by the non-profit Historic New England organization.
Other events here
- Perennial Sale May 31, 2013 / June 1, 2013 / June 2, 2013, 10:00 am–4:00 pm
- Hosta Sale June 14, 2013 / June 15, 2013 / June 16, 2013, 10:00 am–4:00 pm
- Great Dividends: Researching Land in a New England Community Sat, Jun 29, 10:00 am
- Worms Ate My Apple Core Sat, Sep 21, 10:00 pm–11:30 am
- Fall Orchid Sale October 18, 2013 / October 19, 2013 / October 20, 2013, 10:00 am–4:00 pm
- Orchid Growing Workshop Sat, Nov 9, 10:00 am
- Terrarium Gardening for Kids Sat, Nov 16, 10:00 am–11:00 am
- The Spirit of Christmas Past: Four Centuries of Christmas in New England Thu, Dec 5, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm