From an April 21 Speech to Alliance of College Republicans, Brandeis University.
As you continue your personal exploration in college and in the workplace, you will come back to know this place, to know why you are a Republican, for the first time.
- You will start and build companies and know the power of individual liberty and free markets for the first time
- You will hold elective office in your local community and you will know the power of small government, in the hands of average citizens for the first time
- You will get a job, raise a family, volunteer in your town and church and you will know the power of personal responsibility for the first time
- You will face personal challenges that you are unable to solve on your own and you will know the power of the collective responsibility we as American citizens have to each other for the first time
In this election you will hear from candidates who promise to fight for progressive and liberal principles while others claim to fight for “true conservative” principles. I am fighting for democratic principles:
- To check and balance political power because unchecked politial power leads to corruption
- To bring governmentt closer to the voters by driving more decisions to cities and towns because government closest to the people is best
- To demand meaningful limits on government spending because we simply can’t afford to be all things to everyone
What will you fight for? What do you value? What policies today will benefit the next generation? Get involved and stay engaged.