Waltham's Moody Street Could Get More Parking
City council investigating adding additional parking on busy street.
The City Council is investigating purchasing a Spruce Street building and turning it into additional parking spaces.
The council approved, during its Monday, May 23 meeting, Councillor Robert Logan’s proposal to investigate buying the Loyal Order of the Moose Lodge at 17 Spruce St.
Logan mentioned that it may be for sale, but said he was unsure. The council plans to have Mayor Jeanette McCarthy attend a future council meeting to discuss the issue.
Benefits of additional parking
- “The city of Waltham needs additional parking the downtown,” Logan said.
- The city already owns several lots on streets off of Moody Street, but additional parking would certainly help on days when people flock to the streets many eateries.
- Additionally, it would help for any infusion of traffic when the Stadium Sports Bar & Grill opens on Moody Street in the near future or when the Embassy Cinema holds film screenings.
- Buying the club for parking would be a win for both the city and the club, Logan said. The site is “not very marketable,” because zoning regulations currently restrict its use to similar clubs.
Need to Act Now
- Logan urged councilors to act quickly on the issue. He said prior attempts to purchase land between the club and existing Spruce Street lot failed because the council did not make a decision quickly and lost their chance at purchasing the site.