How To Find Out If Waltham Schools Closing During Bad Weather
School closing information.
How To Find Out Whether School Is Cancelled Or Delayed
- Check Waltham Patch
- Tune into Fox 25, WBZ-TV, WCVB, WHDH, WBZ Radio AM 1030 or Waltham WE-TV.
- Waltham Public Schools Web site.
- Or, be on the lookout for an automated phone call from the school district, which you would receive by 6 a.m.
- Waltham High School: 1 hour delay means school starts at 8:30 a.m.; 2 hour delay means school starts at 9:30 a.m.
- Middle Schools: 1 hour delay means school starts at 9 a.m.; 2 hour delay means school begins at 10 a.m.
- Elementary Schools: 1 hour delay means school starts at 9:42 a.m., 2 hour delay pushes school start to 10:42 a.m.
- Morning sessions of pre-school are cancelled when a one or two hour delay is called.
- Intensive Special Needs Pre-Kindergarten at Northeast Elementary School: 1 hour delay pushes start to 10:15 a.m.; 2 hour delay pushes start to 11:15 a.m.
- Moderate and Integrated Special Needs at Northeast Elementary School and Stanley Elementary School: with a 1 or 2 hour delay, morning students do not report to school, afternoon students start at 1:05 p.m.
- The school district will notify parents of any early dismissals through the automated phone system or through local media outlets mentioned above.
How School Delay/Cancellation Decisions Are Made
- The Superintendent of Schools makes the decision after consulting with the school’s safety officer and director of the Consolidated Department of Public Works, the bus company, and other local public works officials.
- “The decision will be made based on road conditions throughout the city as well as on the ability to clear school driveways, parking lots, entrances, exits and sidewalks,” Superintendent of School Susan Nicholson wrote in a letter on the district Web site.
- The decision to delay or cancel school will be made by 5:30 a.m.
(Source: Letter from school superintendent posted on district Web site)