Get Out: Riverfest, Farmers' Market and Concerts
It’s Thursday, and you have no idea what to do this weekend. Patch is coming to the rescue. We have the best bets for your done-work-outta-here time. Check out our picks for activities to do and new places to explore in and around town.
- Where/When: Sovereign Bank, 1 Moody St., Waltham, Friday, 5 p.m.- 9 p.m. and Saturday, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.
- Why Go: Rent a canoe or kayak, listen to live bands, and enjoy a variety of art shows and performers. In Embassy Park, the Diamond Family Circus will give a special aerial arts and acrobat performance. For events, locations, and times, visit the Waltham Riverfest Web site.
- Pricing: Free, although kayak rentals and other services have fees.
- Where/When: Arsenal Center for the Arts, 321 Arsenal St., Watertown, Friday, 7:30 p.m.
- Why Go: If you’re a fan of reggae music, you’ll enjoy this show. The Duppy Conquerors with front man Curtis King will perform Bob Marley’s music with passion and flair.
- Pricing: $12 adults / $8 students and seniors
- Where/When: Sovereign Bank, 1 Moody St., Waltham, Saturday, 9:30 a.m.- 2:30 p.m.
- Why Go: The Waltham Farmers’ Market celebrates its 21st season at the Sovereign Bank parking lot. Rain or shine, the market will be open every Saturday through November 5. Locally produced foods and crafts will be featured along with a concert series.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/When: St. James Armenian Apostolic Church, 465 Mt. Auburn St., Watertown, Saturday, 8 p.m.- midnight.
- Why Go: Take a swing dance lesson from 8 - 9 p.m., then dance all night to the blues, r & b, and early rock and roll sounds of The Love Dogs. The band’s red-hot horn section, boogie-woogie piano and charismatic singer have entertained audiences in festivals and concert halls across the U.S. and Canada for over 16 years.
- Pricing: $15, $10 for students
- Where/When: St. James Armenian Apostolic Church, 465 Mt. Auburn St., Watertown, Sunday, 12 p.m.- 6 p.m.
- Why Go: Enjoy delicious Armenian food and listen to traditional Armenian music on the St. James grounds. This annual picnic and festival will include children’s games, contests, and raffles.
- Pricing: Free
If you have any favorites that we missed, share them in our comment box below.