Mistakes in the construction of the new shopping complex at 1030 Main St. are forcing city officials to further review and correct previously approved plans for the site, according to city officials.
Lack of fencing, placement of an unapproved drive-thru windows and other mistakes forced Five Guys, Panera Bread and Chipotle and City Councilors to request more time to review the companies' requests for fast food permits at the site, according to City Councilor Ed Tarallo, who chairs the city's Rules & Ordiance Committee overseeing the permit requests. All three eateries have plans to open at the site, which is known as the Main Street Marketplace.
The mistakes did not appear on the plans originally approved by the City Council. As a result of the mistakes, the committee plans to hold a Dec. 26 public hearing during which they plan to hear corrected plans for the site, Tarallo said.
Despite the mistakes, Tarallo said the three eateries are headed for approval.
News of the mistakes emerged during the Monday, Dec. 10 City Council meeting during which the City Council approved time extensions for the permit requests. Now, councilors have until March 31, 2013 to decide on Chipotle's and Panera Bread's requests and until Feb. 28 for Five Guys. However, councilors could ask for additional time.
Specifically, builders installed a drive-thru window for the proposed Panera Bread, despite the committee telling the company it would not approve a drive-thru, according to Tarallo. Also, builders installed some sort of electricial unit facing Main Street that Tarallo said never appeared on the approved plans. Other mistakes include not installing fencing on equipment around the roof and installing handicapped parking spaces in the wrong area of the parking lot, Tarallo said. The loading area was also installed in a different area than appears on the approved plans, according to Tarallo.
"It was not just one little thing," said Tarallo, an experienced City Planner for Woburn, adding that these types of mistakes are not uncommon with new developments.
Tarallo said some of the mistakes may not need to be corrected. Acting Buulding Inspector Patrick Powell confirmed the mistakes but said they were "minor."
Joseph M. Connors, the attorney for all three eateries, declined to comment on the issue but said he would do so at the Dec. 26 hearing.
Previously, Five Guys has said it wanted to open by the end of January of 2013 and Panera Bread has said it wants to open by March.