5 Things You Need to Know This Waltham School Year
The new school year for the Waltham Public Schools starts on Aug. 29.
- Important dates: The first day of school is Aug. 29 and the last day is June 14, barring any snow days. Click on the PDF in the box to the right for a full copy of the calendar, including vacations.
- Two new principals: The district has two new principals this year, Sara Lane of the Henry J. Whittemore Elementary School and Jane Gately at the Douglas MacArthur Middle School.
- Parent Info Center May Move: The district plans to soon request moving the Parent Information Center to the old Sotuh Middle School on Moody Street, according to Mayor Jeanette McCarthy. The move is intended to free up classroom space at the Whittmore school.
- More money!: The district will now be reimbursed for transporting homeless students, placed in temporary housing in Waltham to and from schools in and out of the Waltham district.
- State review of schools: The state's review of the Waltham schools has yet to be publicly released. There is no word yet on when it will be revealed.