WALTHAM YMCA TO OFFER WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM FOR PEOPLE WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES
The Waltham YMCA – a leading nonprofit that strengthens community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, is pleased to announce the Y Weight Loss Program for People with Type 2 Diabetes.
This multi-component program for weight loss and diabetes control was developed specifically for the YMCA in collaboration with Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston, the world-wide leader in diabetes care, education and research. This program places equal emphasis on healthy weight loss and diabetes control. With the help of fitness professionals and a registered dietitian, participants focus on healthy eating, increased physical activity and behavioral modification in a group setting.
“We are very excited to be partnering with Joslin to bring a world class program out into our YMCA branches,” said Joann Donnelly, Executive Director of Well Being Services at the YMCA of Greater Boston. “Controlling and managing Type 2 Diabetes can be a challenge. The goal of this program is to get each participant on the right path to a healthier lifestyle.”
In order to participate in this program, adults with diabetes not taking insulin must:
- Be motivated to lose weight, with realistic weight loss goals (5-7% of total body weight)
- Be able attend 12 weekly sessions at the Y, which include exercise (with the group and on your own) and following a meal plan to include meal replacement shakes
- Be able to purchase Boost Glucose Control Shakes for the first six weeks of the program (approximate cost $145)
Participants must also have a relationship with their Primary Care Physician in order to:
- Obtain exercise clearance prior to program start date
- Have an appointment at the mid-point of program
- Verify an eye exam within the last year and a current (within 3 months) HbA1C result
The program begins April 24 and meets Tuesdays from 10:00 am-12:00 pm at the Waltham YMCA. The cost is $200 for YMCA of Greater Boston members and $300 for non members.
For more information on the Y Weight Loss Program for People with Type 2 Diabetes, contact Jenn Ausiello at 781-894-5295 ext. 103 or visit ymcaboston.org.